Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Mono Pass

Yesterday, walked to Mono Pass. Mono Pass is a historic trail used for hundreds of years by local Indians, miners, and traders. In some places the trail is cut a foot into the ground. This walk, with plenty of resting. picture taking, chatting with the handful of other hikers on the trail, and general goofing off, took me about 10.5 hours to complete for the whole day. There is one part where the uphill is noticeable, so I would give this trail about a 5....or moderate. Beware of you're coming from sea level, as you might get a headache.

When I got to the first of many meadows on the trail, I was surprised to see icy frost in spots.
Still lots and lots of flowers blooming in the meadows. Saw some feeding bees and hummingbirds as soon as the sun hit the meadow.

Ruins of cabins from the mining days of the Tioga Mining District are very close to the trail and are not to be disturbed.

I finally have an idea on what these round grassy patches are on the drier slopes of meadows. They filled in where trees once grew that died during a wet period. I say this because the soil in the circle has some stump still in it.



No comments:

Post a Comment